Things for which I am truly thankful!
by Scott A. Meyers, Executive Vice President
December 23, 2010
While this is the December issue of KeePosted, Thanksgiving wasn’t that long ago, and during this holiday season and year end it is always a good idea to reflect on the things for which we can all be truly thankful.
I’m truly thankful for:
- The tornado that missed the ICHP office and most of the Rockford and Loves Park areas on November 22, 2010…and that no one was killed or seriously injured. This might be the most recent reason to be thankful!
- Ice cream in a variety of flavors (and especially peppermint since its Christmas time) that make me feel good even in bad times.
- Furry friends who provide unconditional love whenever they see you! Wouldn’t it be sad if dogs held grudges, were jealous of us or had hurt feelings that lasted more than a few seconds? We all know dogs have feelings, but fortunately very short emotional memories!
- An opportunity and the ability to play golf from time to time (albeit poorly) so that I may enjoy the beauty of man-made nature, camaraderie of great friends and the thrill of an occasional physical accomplishment!
- Four seasons to enjoy. Each one with a special characteristic that makes me smile and at least one other characteristic that can take that smile away! Winter –fluffy white snow and bone-chilling cold; Spring – soft, warm breezes and mud; Summer – bright, green grass and sweltering heat; and Fall – beautiful colors that come…and then go!
- Living in Illinois, USA, rather than any other province and country in the world! We have our problems but we also have the freedom to create and solve these problems ourselves!
- Great friends from all around the US who help me realize that there’s more to life than work. But without work, I wouldn’t have nearly as many!
- A great job/career/profession that allows me to meet and work with great people dedicated to helping others!
- Affiliation with pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy students from around the country who truly care about their patients. Their dedication inspires me to do my job better!
- An ICHP staff that is committed to serving our members as they work to provide the best possible pharmacist care to their patients. We work for you and strive to find ways to make your work easier, more effective and more rewarding!
- Our dedicated member volunteers who make ICHP’s accomplishments what they are. Without the dedicated volunteers who plan our meetings, create our policy and guide our way, there would be no ICHP!
- A loving family that is healthy and happy albeit scattered across this planet! Celebrating holidays is different when your closest kid lives 1000 miles away and the other one works in a country where Thanksgiving and Christmas have no meaning and Lantern Festival, Dragon Boat Festival and Mid-Autumn Festival are big celebrations but don’t compare to their biggest, the Spring Festival (also known as Chinese New Year)!
- Most of all I am thankful for a loving, merciful and gracious God that has blessed me with all the other things for which I am thankful. Also for the fact that he created me to live in a country where I have the freedom to worship him and the right to proclaim it!
I hope you take a moment during this holiday season, regardless of your personal beliefs, to reflect on the things for which you are thankful. Then take an additional moment or two to consider what you can do to show that appreciation. Demonstrate that appreciation to those you work with, are friends with, live with, and love. These different groups may not be that different! Think about ways you can make your personal world a little kinder, warmer and friendlier for all who visit it. I hope December provides each of you with an opportunity to reflect, give thanks and begin planning for the next twelve month chapter in your life! Happy Holidays!
The News Article appears in the following categories: