PREVENTING DRUG DIVERSION AND COUNTERFEITING
The Illinois Council of Health-System Pharmacists (ICHP) supports the efforts of the Food and Drug Administration and National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) in combating the introduction of counterfeit drugs into the U.S. supply chain.
- Supports the Model Rules for the Licensure of Wholesale Distributors issued by the NABP.
- Supports mandatory certification through NABP's Verified-Accredited Wholesale Distributors program of each wholesale distributor doing business in Illinois.
- Supports the implementation of the Drug Supply Chain Security Act (DSCSA) in accordance with the specified timeline.*
- Supports initiatives to prevent expired or wasted medications from re-introduction into the supply chain.
- Supports pharmacist involvement in identification of counterfeit products, assisting patients who may be affected by such products, documenting outcomes and notifying appropriate bodies of authority.
- Supports pharmacy personnel in educating other health care providers and consumers on identification of potentially counterfeit products and the steps to take in such circumstances.
* May be referred to as “track and trace”