Print This Article
Recognize the Best
ICHP Awards Process Opens
by Scott A. Meyers, Executive Vice President
While some things change others stay the same and this year change has definitely been the theme for health care, but the ICHP Award process is still looking for Illinois Pharmacy’s best and brightest! The award nominations process for the 2020 ICHP Pharmacist of the Year, the Amy Lodolce Mentorship Award, and the Pharmacy Technician of the Year recipients are open, and it’s your chance to recommend someone you know and respect. All three awards will be presented at the 2020 ICHP Annual Meeting on October 1-3, 2020 at the Drury Lane Theater in Oakbrook Terrace along with several other important awards. That is providing we’re back to meeting by then! But let’s think positive.
The criteria are different for each award, so let’s start with ICHP’s highest honor, the Pharmacist of the Year.
Pharmacist of the Year Award
A Pharmacist of the Year nominee should meet the following criteria:
These accomplishments, achievements, or outstanding performances may be in the following areas:
- The nominee is a person of high moral character, good citizenship and high professional ideals;
- The nominee has made significant contributions affecting the practice of health-system pharmacy throughout the State; and
- These contributions should be in the form of sustained exemplary service in health-system pharmacy or a single outstanding achievement, or a combination of accomplishments benefiting health-system pharmacy, through it, humanity, and the public health.
- Health-system pharmacy practice
- Health-system pharmacy education
- Health-system pharmacy administration
- Pharmaceutical research or development related to health-system pharmacy
- Pharmacy organizational activity with a definite relationship to health-system pharmacy
- Scientific or professional pharmacy writing, (e.g., noteworthy articles on pharmaceutical subjects with applicability to health-system pharmacy)
- Pharmaceutical journalism related to health-system pharmacy
- Public and/or inter-professional relations activities benefiting health-system pharmacy
- Pharmacy law or legislation, professional regulations, standards of professional conduct or pharmacy law enforcement as related to health-system pharmacy.
Nominations may be received from Selection Committee members (past recipients of the award), past Presidents of the Council, affiliated chapters of the Council or any six pharmacist members of the Council submitting and signing a recommendation. Nominators should write a complete nomination letter and submit it along with the nominee’s CV by July 1st, to the ICHP office at email@example.com
. Nominations should include the name of the nominee, name of the nominators, and details describing how the nominee meets the above criteria. This year’s Selection Committee Chair is last year’s recipient, Jerry Storm. All nominations will be forwarded to the ICHP office for distribution to the selection committee.
Amy Lodolce Mentorship Award
Amy Lodolce was a University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy faculty member who touched the lives of pharmacy students, residents, and colleagues through her passion for teaching and the profession of pharmacy. Throughout her time at the college, Amy oversaw the training of four PGY2 drug information pharmacy residents, all of whom are currently drug information faculty at various institutions. She worked directly with numerous PGY1 residents and APPE students during their drug information rotations. She also served as a formal mentor to her student advisees and was the advisor of the Phi Delta Chi pharmacy fraternity for many years. As the Assistant Director of the Drug Information Group, Amy served as an informal mentor to other faculty and was quick to help new faculty become oriented and situated.
Amy approached being a leader and a mentor with an “open door” policy, and she would selflessly pause her work to address others’ needs. Students, residents, and faculty alike would ask her for guidance with career decisions and other professional concerns. Amy was respectful and nonjudgmental in her approach when assisting others whose goals and aspirations may have been different from her own. Her dedication was exemplary in that she worked tirelessly to provide residents and students with quality learning opportunities. She led and coached by example, consciously choosing behaviors that she hoped students and residents would emulate. An active pharmacist member of ICHP, Amy placed emphasis on professional organization involvement and giving back to the profession. Amy’s dedication and generosity to the profession of pharmacy have positively shaped many pharmacists’ careers, and the memory of her will continue to do so.
- The individual nominated to receive this award must be an ICHP pharmacist, associate or technician member in good standing;
- The individual should be an exemplary preceptor, professor and/or mentor of students, residents, pharmacy technicians and/or new practitioners;
- The individual should be a positive role model for pharmacists, pharmacy students and/or pharmacy technicians;
In order to be considered for the award, individuals must have been nominated using the approved nomination form below. More than one person may complete a nomination form for an individual.
To nominate someone for the Amy Lodolce Mentorship Award:
- Please provide your name(s), i.e., the name of the nominator(s). (More than one person can nominate a nominee).
- Provide the name of the person you are nominating. In addition, the nominee’s curriculum vitae must be included in the nomination package.
Please answer the following questions about the nominee:
- Is the nominee a member of ICHP?
- In what capacity have you worked with the nominee?
- In what ways do you see the nominee working to advance the profession of pharmacy?
- Give some examples of ways in which this nominee is a model mentor/preceptor.
- Give some examples in which this nominee has demonstrated a service to community (outside of job responsibilities).
- How has this nominee impacted your career?
Completed nominations should be sent by July 1, 2020, to Scott Meyers at firstname.lastname@example.org
or to the ICHP office by fax at 815-227-9294 or mail to 4055 N. Perryville Rd., Loves Park, IL 61111.
ICHP Technician of the Year Award
Award Purpose: The ICHP Pharmacy Technician of the Year Award is established to identify and recognize exceptional performance by a certified pharmacy technician within the State of Illinois.
The candidate must:
- Be a current ICHP technician member,
- Be a PTCB certified pharmacy technician for at least two years,
- Demonstrate at least one of the following:
- exceptional contributions to his/her pharmacy worksite
- exceptional contributions to ICHP as a volunteer member
- exceptional contributions to the practice of pharmacy in Illinois
The nominator must:
- Be the technician’s supervisor, colleague, or co-worker. No self-nominations will be accepted.
Provide the following information:
- Worksite name, address and telephone number.
- Technician name and year certified.
- Describe the technician’s contributions in detail.
Provide the nomination to the ICHP office by no later than July 1st.
- Deadline for nominations is July 1, 2020.
- All nominations are reviewed by the Division of Marketing Affairs at their July conference call.
- The Division will select two finalists for consideration and present them to the ICHP Board of Directors at the July Board Meeting.
- The ICHP Board of Directors will select the award winner from the two finalists presented by the Division of Marketing Affairs.
- The Division of Marketing Affairs may recommend one of the two finalists by providing detailed discussion points to the Board of Directors.
- The Board is not required to select a recipient if no candidate seems qualified.
- The Award recipient and her/his nominator will be notified immediately following his/her selection by the Board of Directors.
- The award recipient will receive a complimentary full registration to the ICHP Annual Meeting.
- The award recipient will receive a plaque to be presented at an appropriately agreed upon time during the ICHP Annual Meeting.
Again, the deadline for submissions of all award nominees is July 1, 2020 and they should be forwarded to the ICHP office.